This blog is a result of the spark my Aunt Martha ignited in me to CREATE! She said, "you must create everyday...it is a gift and it would be a shame to waste it". "Two hours a day" she said...I balked. Does creating supper count? Stacks of brightly colored folded laundry? Nope. Trust me, I would LOVE to have two hours a day to create, and some days I have the time to, but mostly I find it hard to have two hours. However, I am committed to not waste the gift and the projects you see here are the product of my unleashed passion.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Dying Wool....with Kool-Aid

So I had this rather unappealing (to me anyway!) yarn that I picked up at the thrift store ages ago for a steal. You will recognize it from previous posts as some I felted. Anyway, I was less than enthusiastic about the color. Then I read that natural animal fibers (wool, silk, etc.) could be dyed...with Kool-Aid! Yes! I decided to see if I could get something "yummy" out of that wool. I used Wyler's brand instead of Kool-Aid brand and it worked just fine. Below are my experiments:

Dyed with Black Cherry and Grape Kool-Aid
Original yarn is on the left and the dyed is on the right. Beautiful!




Orange and Tropical Punch...eh, not so excited about this one, since I'm not a big "orange person." Not terrible, though!


I do love this one though...Berry Blue something or the other and Grape.


This was heaps of fun and smelled good too :o)
These were just small test batches, now what to do with the three skeins of the original I have...

1 comment: